My first photo-less post

·        Most of my blog posts are purely photos, but today I wanted to write a little something about my own personal photography journey.  With the huge popularity of DSLRs right now, I am often asked by friends, clients or even event guests what camera I use/recommend and my answer is: use what feels right. Personally, I believe that being creative and learning to use your camera (whatever it might be) to its full potential, is more important than the camera you have. I’ve seen amazing photos taken with iPhones, I've drooled over wedding photographers who use toy and antique cameras and yet I’ve seen mediocre photos taken with full-frame DSLRs that cost more than my car.  

When I started on this photographic journey many years ago, I was no more than a photo enthusiast. I had no career intentions. I was passionate about creating, posing and crafting beautiful photographs for my own personal enjoyment. At first, I had neither a DSLR nor even a basic digital camera- I was using an old film Pentax when I was offered  my first paid assignment. I was flattered as an amateur when on more than one occasion I received compliments from others who liked my work better than the professionals they'd paid to photograph them in the past. Why was that? At the time, my photos were not as technically correct and full of imperfections. I was still learning concepts of aperture, white balance and ISO. So what was it that made my photos stand out? It was composition. It was styling. It was making the effort to connect with my subjects and to bring out new sides of them.

I did eventually, get my first intro level DSLR and grew into more professional DSLRs over time, but much more important than any camera body to my own personal growth and improvement is the study of light and continually learning new techniques and investing in courses and equipment to take me in the right direction for my style. Learning how to take that perfectly balanced and focused photo and then push it to the next level with “imperfections” like sunflare and grain is part of my photographic style and I believe it adds emotion and depth.  

I saw an analogy online that said a camera no more makes a photographer than a stove makes a chef or a hammer makes a carpenter. I like that. The camera is a tool. I hope that any photo enthusiasts and budding professionals out there remember that a passion for photography and learning how to use your tools is what will make you better at what you do.


"A portrait is not made in the camera but on either side of it." - Edward Steichen 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'll Be Your Hero | Tracy Castle Superhero Wedding | Seattle Wedding Photographer

Handsome Devils | The Tiny Footprints Project | Seattle Family Photographer | Evidence of Life Photography

Chasing Waterfalls | A Franklin Falls Trash the Dress Session | Evidence of Life Photography | Seattle Wedding Photographer

Down by the Riverside | Evidence of Life Photorgaphy | Seattle Wedding Photographer